Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Nobility in Motherhood? Joy in Womanhood?
I have been thinking deeply today about something very dear to my heart. I have found myself in a place in life where I struggle to see the greatness in every day. When I started my blog, I was inspired by a conference talk given by President Henry B. Eyring. I believe it was titled "Write This Down." I wanted to take the time every day to recognize the Lord's hand in my day, and ultimately in my life. So I am going to try not to bore to death those of you who do read this. I will from this day forth write something down every day. So...whether you chose to read or not is your choice, but I have to do this for me. Today has been a difficult day. Brigham has had a fever and cried the entire day! Carter ate Brigham's left over yogurt and finished off his drink as well. I had explained that he would get sick, and yet...he still did it! Ahhh! What to do with that?! He was already sick with something the previous weekend! Then Sydney came home from school and said that her throat hurt so bad she could hardly stand it! Great! That is the last thing I needed to hear! Whatever will I do?! However...during the time I was holding Brigham I was thinking about a part in the Relief Society Declaration: "Find nobility in motherhood, and joy in womanhood." I struggle with these things! How could I possibly feel this way when I am knee deep in the trenches? Then...I read an arcticle from the 2002 Ensign that said: President David O. McKay (1873–1970): “[The] ability and willingness properly to rear children, the gift to love, and eagerness … to express it in soul development, make motherhood the noblest office or calling in the world. She who can paint a masterpiece or write a book that will influence millions deserves the admiration and the plaudits of mankind; but she who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters, whose influence will be felt through generations to come, … deserves the highest honor that man can give, and the choicest blessings of God” (Gospel Ideals [1954], 453–54). WOW! I was nearly knocked off of my feet! I have been going about things all wrong! I have been trying too hard at some things that really don't matter! So I pray that I might find myself and become this type of woman that President McKay was talking about. I really desire this with all of my entire beating heart! I want my daughters and sons to know that I have my eyes fixed on the goals of lasting meaning. I want charity to never fail in my home! I want my home to be a house of God. I pray that Heavenly Father will take the time to lovingly guide me so that I might do all that He desires of me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow Melissa, you are so inspiring! Reading that made me feel better about all the yucky stuff that goes along with being a mom. Thank you for being a good example to me and making me feel good about the choices I am making.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I hope that all your babies get feeling better. Good luck & let me know if you need any help!
Shellie